Looks like the first versions of WordPress Version 3 has finally been released! Heres a breakdown on the features we can expect on this verision (oh goodie!). Full details on the WordPress of course are available here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_3.0.
Some of the features I’m quite interested in seeing are:
- WordPress and WordPress MU have merged, allowing the management of multiple sites (called Multisite) from one WordPress installation.
- New default theme “Twenty Ten” takes full advantage of the current features of WordPress.
- New custom menu management feature, allows creation of custom menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
- Custom header and background APIs.
- A lighter admin color scheme to increase accessibility and put the focus more squarely on your content.
- New WordPress logo for admin header
- Place “Search Engines Blocked” mini-alert in the wp-admin header to prevent people from accidentally delisting themselves
- Revised administration menu icons
- Revised Gray Admin Color Scheme
- Add link so user can visit Dashboard after core upgrade
- Move Tools->Upgrade menu option to Dashboard->Updates and overhaul of user interface so themes, plugins, and core upgrades under one panel
- New menu management (navigation) via Menus option under Appearances Menu (#11817)
- Password nag for newly registered users
- Split Right Now widget into Content | Discussion
- Allow for removing all tags in quick edit
- Improved revision comparison user interface
- Order link categories by name, not count, on Add New/Edit Link page
- Add additional columns to the Posts Comments view
- Allow configuration of number of comments to display Recent Comments dashboard module
- Block comments for future posts and password protected posts (when password not provided)
- Change to comments UI to show when a comment is replying to another, and link to the parent comment
- Add Details and Install Now action links under each plugin listed in Install Plugins
- Allow Tab indenting, Shift-Tab (outdenting), and multi-line tabbing, in plugin editor
- Upgrade plugins in bulk from the Plugins->Installed panel (#11542)
- When deleting plugins, check for uninstall hooks, and warn of data deletion
- Removed Settings->Miscellaneous admin menu, moved uploads settings to Settings->Media panel
- Revise Settings->General panel, change “Blog” reference to “Site”
- Revise Gray Admin Color Scheme
- New Tools->Network panel to ‘install’ mulitsite/network ability, and is available only if WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE is defined in wp-config.php
- New Super Admin menu with Admin, Sites, Users, Themes, Options, Update, sub-menus (available only if is_multisite() && is_super_admin() )
- New Dashboard->My Sites panel
- New Tools->Delete Site panel
- Configure a Network (multisite/WPMU) using wp-config.php file
- Terminology changes regarding Sites, Blogs, Networks (see Andrew Nacin’s explanation)
…and that’s just a taste of what the new version has! now just have to hope that nothing breaks…